Sunday, September 11, 2011

10 years later...

I feel like in everyone's lifetime, there is some major event that is striking in history and everyone remembers where they were when it happened. Such as when JFK was shot. Or when the man walked on the moon, etc.

My generation? The attacks on the Twin Towers in NYC on 9/11/2001. Me? I remember exactly where I was. I was a freshmen in high school, my brother Brian a junior. We missed the bus that morning so my mom was driving us. We were sitting at the train tracks waiting for it to go by and I had some sort of feeling that the day was just going to be bad. Creepy, right? I don't know why but I just felt it. So, where was I when I found out that the towers had been hit? I was sitting in my 9th grade Global History class, first seat second row. I remember the security guard came in to talk to my teacher (her husband was a firefighter in the city) and I heard something on his walkie-talkie. Flash forward to 4th period gym, sitting in rows doing our "warm ups" and the teachers received a note to tell us what had happened. By then it was ten something.

No one could believe it. For the rest of the day, everyone was kind of just in a down mood. Kids were pulled outta school early. I luckily did not have any family members who lived or worked in the city. My next door neighbor and her son both worked in the city but luckily were not involved in it. Considering NYC is about 45 minutes to an hour from where I live, many people in this area lost loved ones. My brother had a friend whose sister lost her fiance. It was just one horrific tragedy that affected millions. Whether you knew someone who died (or escaped) or not, it still affects every one of us.

On this day, ten years later, we never forget. But also, we remember and are extremely thankful. Thankful to those who walked into work that day as a police officer, firefighter, EMT and risked their lives to save others. Thankful to those who serve our country. Thankful to all those who worked cleaning up remains, searching for people, working on the reconstruction of the area. It's those who risk their lives for us (then, now, in the future) that make me proud to call myself an American.

It's eerie to say but this is one of my favorite pictures:

But like anything tragic, there is the silver lining. While this day can have a sad connection with it, I'd rather think of the happy one. 5 years ago today, my brother & his wife were blessed with the birth of their second child...their son, Steven Louis. He was scheduled to be born on the 12th but decided to come early. While it might be sad his birthday is noted to be the same day as a national tragedy, I like to think that five years after it happened, he brought some light back in. HAPPY 5TH BIRTHDAY, BUDDY! I love him to pieces!




No comments:

Post a Comment