Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Health Insurance 101

Sometimes, I wish becoming an adult was not so complicated. Or boring. Or costly. I really need to figure out health insurance. I am covered under my mom's plan through her job until the end of November 2012, after I turn 26. She called and asked. So as of December 1st of this year, I won't have any coverage. Let's hope nothing major happens after that!

Today, she got a bill in the mail saying my dentist appointment two weeks ago wasn't paid for. Between the cleaning & x-rays, there's $92 I might have to pay. And last week, I had a filling so I assume that was not paid for either. Joyous. She is going to call the insurance about it but I might end up having to pay. Honestly, if I have to pay, it'll suck and I'll do it. But I want to figure out how to get my own insurance.

I would love to be able to find a teaching job that'll give me insurance but that might be unlikely by September. I'm not being pessimistic about the job situation, if that is what it seems....it's just the reality we're facing in NY. Not that I get sick too often that makes me go to the doctor but if anything happens (such as a hospital stay or something), that would SUCK MAJORLY to pay out of pocket. I could get insurance through my job but they take a buttload out of your paycheck and I dont even think I meet the hourly minimum required to get it. My brother who also works with me says it is not worth it to get it.

Are any of you in a similar situation? Do you not have insurance? Do you pay out of pocket for a high premium? I need to figure out how I can find something affordable. This is just another part of growing up I almost wish I didn't have to deal with.

And on that now, I am going to go to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment