Saturday, December 29, 2012

No Insurance Stinks!

Having no medical insurance sure does stink. I was covered under my mom's plan from her job until November 30th of this year. So even though I graduated college 3 and a half years ago, I was still covered thanks to the new law. Pretty sweet. Until you actually turn 26 and then lose it! 

Neither of my jobs offer insurance. Or, the restaurant does but you have to work a minimum amount of hours which I can't. So I was REALLY trying to avoid getting sick or going to a doctor at all possible cost. I knew if I did, I was going to have to pay out of pocket and that can get expensive fast.

I went to work today at CPK with all intentions of remaining there for my four hour shift (I was only to work from 12-4). Apparently my cough/congestion sounded worse to my boss when I hacked on my lungs and she looked up the number of a clinic/doctor nearby. She found one and told me "Go home! Get an antibiotic!" I honestly didn't feel that bad but I'll do what she tells me. I ended up going to a place and it cost me $100 for the visit! UGH! And to think I just had insurance a month ago! I got a prescription for a Z-pack and a cough syrup with codeine to help me sleep through the night (I'd never take that and drive). All together, it cost me $160. That's not as bad as I thought it would be but still NOT CHEAP! 

Don't get me wrong...I'd love to have insurance but unfortunately neither of my jobs offer it to me now. How much does that stink? I am looking for a teaching position that would have better benefits but those are far and few between in NY. My hope is I don't get any sicker and this is the only time I will have to pay out of pocket (isn't this wishful thinking on my part?!)

Kind of mad I had to give up my hours today but oh well! At least I have an antibiotic! 

1 comment:

  1. Awww this can be the worst feeling ever...hope you get insurance soon!

    ReplyDelete