Sunday, February 20, 2011

its vacation time, baby!

I am on vacation ALL this week from student teaching and I'm SUPER excited. Not only do I NOT have to get up at 5:30am, I get to sleep in!! I still have my one hour tutoring sessions Tues & Thurs for my grad school (I tutor and get paid for it!) and my stupid class on Wednesday evening. But FINALLY some time for myself!

On Friday, the school where I am doing my first student teaching placement had diversity day. It was put on by our department, LOTE (commonly known as Languages Other Than English). The teachers asked parents of students from different countries to speak. One of the parents from my cooperating teacher's first period class spoke. She was from Bogota, Colombia and I really enjoyed her presentation. I do want to travel to South America one of these days in my future life and explore. Other cultures fascinate me.

In addition to the parents, they had one special person come. He is the brother of Marcelo Lucero, an Ecuadorian immigrant who was fatally stabbed by 7 local high school seniors about two years ago. It happened in a town about 10-15 minutes from me. Apparently it was a common activity for these kids to go on a hunt to bother Hispanics. One boy stabbed Marcelo and he died. His brother spoke to the kids and I got to talk with him during lunch in the LOTE office and when I had to walk him down to the auditorium for his presentation 5th period. It is such a tragedy what happened to his brother and hopefully it opened the eyes of these students (who are all diverse ethnically and physically in the school I am at). No one should ever have to go through what this man did. It tug on my heartstrings. Here was a man who simply came to this country, wanting to achieve the American Dream so many of us are "rightfully" born with. And in the end, his life was tragically taken from him. All of the boys are in prison and you know what? They deserve to be there.And the main boy who was charged was represented by an attorney that always used to come into my old job in the Hamptons. Just a little side fact/note. However, here is to hoping one day that diversity will run free and everyone will be accepting. We're all humans, we all deserve that American dream, regardless of ethnicity.

And as usual, I worked this weekend. Gee, WHAT A SHOCK. I was sooooooo excited to NOT have to work next Saturday night for I don't know, the first Saturday night in 6 weeks! I had been doing doubles every Saturday since I came back from Disney. Don't get me wrong, I love the $$, but seriously, enough's enough. Lol. And then what happens? The new person, who I haven't even met, apparently can't work the Saturday night shift she is scheduled for because of her other job....well, don't work two jobs! Lol. I REALLY REALLY didn't want to work it but I did. The only bright side is I won't have to stay til 10 since I'll be there since 11:30 that morning. Thank the lord.

I really wish my room would clean itself. My closet is like bursting because of all the clothes I've just thrown in there. I hate winter clothes. They are too bulky to hang unlike summer clothes and therefore take up more space. Or, maybe my problem is I have too many clothes. Too many clothes is never a problem in reality for a girl! :) I am going shopping this week for school clothes and a little fun because I haven't been in months! I deserve a little treat.

And in other news, my darling goddaughter lost her first tooth! She is 6 years old and has been waiting for like two years for this major event to occur. She is too cute. It's a bottom one. I took a picture of her smile, now minus one tooth, tonight when we went out to dinner for my brother's 39th birthday. I just love that munchkin. :)

Well, time to go put stuff away so I can go lay in bed. Maybe I'll tackle this mess tomorrow. Yeah, sounds good to me. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment