Saturday, December 14, 2013

Remembering Sandy Hook

Today is the one year anniversary that marks the tragic school shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School when 20 little kids and 6 adults lost their lives. One year ago today, I was at school and in between second and third period (around 8:52am), we had an announcement that the school was in lockdown. We were only doing a practice "drill." Little did we know that a few hours later, Sandy Hook would be in lockdown, but for real.

I remember reading about it on my Facebook during my lunch break. I was completely dumbfounded. Who would of thought that someone would be crazy enough to go shoot little kids? The scary fact? Think of how many school shootings have occurred since Columbine back in 1999 (when I was in 6th grade)? Some of them were big like Virginia Tech and others were small. I always thought that school was a safe place for both students AND teachers. Sandy Hook has completely changed that in a way.

I am sure if you ask anyone who is an educator, they would do anything to protect their students (even if they are the kid that annoys them almost every day) because it's like the Hippocratic oath of being teachers. You only want the best for your students. I think of Vikki Soto, the first grade teacher who shoved her students into the closet and then died moments later protecting them. Had that been me, I would have done the same thing.

In the year since Sandy Hook, I have never really questioned my chosen profession. I just think of all those sweet babies that will never get to experience graduating high school, going to college, falling in love, getting married, and having a family of their own. All because someone robbed them of their young life. This video is something everyone needs to watch.

Rest in peace Sandy Hook angels.

No comments:

Post a Comment