Sunday, January 24, 2016

Blizzard 2016

Everyone remember how on Christmas it was so warm out and we basically did not need jackets? I knew that we would be paying for it this winter and it would come back with a vengeance!

They predicted that we were suppose to get 6-12 inches of snow this weekend. I was suppose to work this morning...actually all day....at the restaurant. And they expect you to be there. Trust me...once I was there and then they sent me home. Because they realized how dumb it was to still be open!

I had been tossing and turning this morning about getting plowed out. We had my brother Mark's old snow blower but apparently it was going to cost a lot of money to fix and we would just be better off buying a brand new one. Why we did not do that I have no idea. (Note to self: When owning a home, have snow blower on handy). My brother Eric still has issues (so he claims) from his shoulder surgery in November so he can't shovel. My brother Scott can shovel but he kind of creates more of a mess (due to his handicap). So it is just myself and my brother Brian. Lucky us.

I went out at 9:15 and started shoveling away. Luckily it was light fluffy snow. So it made it easy to shovel. At one point I took my phone out and sent my manager Jess a text to ask if we were still open. I was not making any progress with the end of the driveway (my house is on the corner and we ALWAYS get a huge pile when they do plow the streets). She told me to stay home because she was stuck there in the parking lot and that people were stranded on other roads. And that she would let me know about the night shift once there was a conference call at 11. Thank god they decided to close. I just really hope we are closed tomorrow. Someone asked me to switch with them about their kids party because the person that it is for is his girlfriend's cousin and they wanted him to attend as a guest (and he was suppose to be the server running it). I stupidly agreed but hopefully they decide to just cut their losses and NOT have the party.

I went back out around 4 and shoveled or another 2 hours. Collectively, I think it was a total of 5 hours and it looks like nothing. Ha! I also did move my car and love that Holly, my Honda, can maneuver well in snow. My corolla would not have been able to back over the big pile like I did in the CR-V. I AM SO GLAD I GOT A CAR WITH ALL WHEEL DRIVE! I know that doesn't make me invincible on the roads but it is cool. However, I did take a walk down the block around 9:30 to walk the dog (the back deck was shoveled but then it snowed again) and there are people that didn't do anything yet. Plus,I think I have windburn on my face. The wind is so strong (and still is)! It can be kinda scary. My entire body aches from shoveling.

I guess maybe I should go sleep incase I do have to work tomorrow. Screw the Apple Store appointment I had. I will wait til it is not blizzarding out.

Until then, here are some pictures!


View from my front stoop! 





A few inches this morning at the end of the driveway. At least it was not up to my knees like last year!


And my local radio station 106.1 WBLI posted this on their Facebook page. I laughed so hard when I saw this!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment